Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Molly Comes to Visit

It’s my second to last full day in Spain. Not really knowing what to do with myself in Barcelona (it being my second visit and a Monday when all the museums are closed), I am sitting on my hostel’s balcony trying to finish up some of my blogs before I get home. I might add, this might be one of my favorite hostels. Although it doesn’t have free breakfast, I am essentially in my own apartment with kitchen, living room and bathroom. We still have probably twelve people to the apartment in rooms of four, but the set up is much more intimate than sharing a room with fourteen people and one kitchen with the entire hostel. But even I had to share the main kitchen and other public spaces with the entire hostel, that would be okay too because the place is really nice.

I think I missed out on a weekend. I am actually positive I did. The weekend before my birthday Molly came to visit. So how do I show her a good time? Well, I take her to a clothing optional beach. Yep. I had been told over and over that Sopelana was a great beach. Having never been there, I thought I could explore it with Molly. Besides not knowing which metro stop to get off on and then how to get there from that metro stop, we eventually found our way to Sopelana. Sopelana is a town on the coast of the Atlantic, like all the towns outside of Bilbao essentially. I had read earlier that there were three beaches, a normal one, one for wind and water sports, and a clothing optional one. With the normal beach as the goal, we ended up at the clothing optional one. Eh, it wasn’t too bad. The beach was beautiful, a pocket beach backed by really high dunes. It had a strong current and we ended up getting yelled at by the lifeguard for going out too far, but it was a good day all in all.

We finished the day with Molly cooking me meatballs and watching Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs in my room. Molly is so romantic, isn’t she? I feel like she was trying to present the message that if we play with the weather and environment too much, catastrophic events like gigantic spaghetti tornadoes or junk food avalanches could ravage small, nonexistent islands in the middle of the Atlantic. A stirring story indeed.

The next day I thought it would be a good idea to take Molly to San Sebastian. We had had plans earlier to go to San Sebastian to meet Nerea, a friend from class. She ended up having to cancel due to family fun time, but we decided to go anyways.

Good thing we made such a good decision, because after an hour or so of okay weather, it started to get cold, rainy, and windy. A stellar combination if you ask me. We tried to stick it out by eating our packed lunches underneath the scant cover of some trees, but after some churros, we eventually gave up and let Mother Nature win this round. Back in Bilbao we ate more meatballs and enjoyed some Phineas and Ferb.

The next day I met up with Molly after work and repaid her by cooking fajitas and watching This is Spinal Tap. Arguably not as perfect as meatballs and Cloudy, but still a satisfying combination. The next day I had to say my goodbyes as Molly left for Barcelona, but I would see her soon anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment