Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Last Days in Norway (and a Little Bit of London)

It’s getting to the end of Norway, the end of probably one of my most favorite trips in Europe. Sad! But we still have a little bit left!

Late into the morning of day 4 we woke up to the sun shining into our tent. I walked outside and was greeted with probably the best view I will ever have in a morning, Bearded Valley’s fjord, and the sound of a waterfall a few meters down the trail. We slowly packed up our things and started our trek back to the cars. Only 4 miles this time, nothing too extreme.

Once on the road we headed towards Odda, the small village that we had been frequenting for food. Odda is really quaint, sitting right on a beautiful fjord. The Norwegians said it was an ugly town. I hope they never visit Gary, Indiana or Detroit. If Odda is one of their ugly towns, I think I could live with that.

Well, we stopped for some Chinese food for lunch and then had some dessert at Langfoss. We said our goodbyes to Cecilie and Trygve and headed back to Kristine’s. Once back we showered and cleaned up because we were eating dinner at Kristine’s parents’. Let me tell you, a good home cooked meal after climbing mountains for the past three days is one of the best things you can experience. Her parents were delightful and the food was perfect. It was traditional and comforting, exactly what I wanted as it was actually raining. Did I mention we lucked out with no rain during the backpacking? Well, the food, like I said was traditional Norwegian. We ate these balls made out of potatoes that Kristine assured us we wouldn’t like (but did) and a bunch of meat. Top that off with some ice cream and I was in heaven.

After dinner we just relaxed at home and fell asleep early. The next day we woke up late, ate breakfast, saw a mini Statue of Liberty where the French got all the copper to make the statue and went to the airport for our flight to London.

Once at Stansted, Caitlyn and I headed into London while Hillary went to a friend’s house. We didn’t do too much in London honestly. We just studied for our last final, Foundations, over a pint outside and then had some delicious burgers at another pub. I fell asleep really early (9 maybe).

The next day I woke up really early. I felt like I should at least sightsee a little, since after all, this was only my second time in London, so I left Caitlyn to her studying and walked around to Big Ben, the Globe Theater, Saint Paul’s Cathedral and a few other notable sights. We then headed back to Stansted and caught our flight home to Santander.

No comments:

Post a Comment