Friday, May 13, 2011

Vienna Cont

Vienna, day two, was a pretty easy, relaxing day. I don’t recall too much what we did, in fact. I know first off we went to the schloss. Yes, I got my fill of schlosses on this trip. Schlosses in Potsdam, Fussen, and now Vienna. How enchanting.

This schloss is one of the biggest of them all, coming in at 1440 rooms, large, beautiful gardens, I believe one of the first zoos in the world (and googling confirms that the zoo, founded in 1752, is indeed the oldest), mazes, statues, a giant green house, need I go on?

Well, I have seen my share of fancy pants palatial rooms and didn’t see the point of entering. Instead, we explored the grounds. I never cease to be amazed by the gardens kept by palaces. The things they get plants to do are really impressive. The gardens at the Schonbrunn Schloss had walls and arches stretching forever formed entirely by trees, the flowers and bushes were perfectly maintained. On a nice day I could definitely lose myself in these gardens.

Hungry, we left in search of food. More family fun ensued and we ended up on the other end of the city. First we failed at a café where we were all hoping for chili.

Lies. First we got yelled at by a guy in German. This guy must have been crazy or anarchist or something. We were walking along the street, looking for an ATM. We found one, but there was this guy shouting at it and at people around. We crossed the street to a different ATM, thinking we would avoid this guy. The guy comes across the street and starts yelling god knows what at my dad, inches from my face. None of us know what to do. Eventually he just leaves, but waits around the corner. We wait a little, hoping he actually walks further away. We get our money and put distance between that man and us. He was not stable.

So after that, we fail at the café. They really just had no food that they had on the menu. Chili con carne? No. How about the goulash then? Nope. And the soup? No dice.

After finally eating at another restaurant that we found after walking for at least an hour, we go to the music museum. YAY MUSEUMS! I bet you are all thinking it. A museum about classical music? How could that be even remotely interesting? Let me tell you, it was so much fun. I highly recommend it. It seems like it could play to children, but if you really like interactive museums, it is great. You can conduct a symphony. I made my own waltz by rolling dice. I also tried to paint with sound, but that wasn’t exactly working correctly. I did, however, get to feel like I was in a womb in this one room. Fun!

Wait, I am going completely out of order! I know, I am typing this so I could really just go back and write this in the order it actually happened, but that isn’t how I am doing it. Deal. Before we went to the museum we ate sacher torte at Sacher Café. Yep, the original hope of the sacher torte, which is really just chocolate cake. I was disappointed. It looked perfect, but it was too dry for me. And seriously, how much was that? Like 5 euro for a slice of chocolate cake? Not again.

So after the cake and after the museum we are ready for what we have all been waiting to eat since being in Vienna: Weiner schnitzel. My dad and I found some places recommended in our guide book that were nearby and went to one. Yet, it seemed the theme of the day would be restaurants not having what you order. Yep! This place was out of Weiner schnitzel! Why me? Oh well, the pork schnitzel was delicious, too. One plate could have definitely served two though.

That ends day two in Vienna. The next morning we fly back to Spain EARRRLYYY in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment