Friday, April 29, 2011

Neuschwanstein Castle

This castle is the epitome of a fairy tale castle.  It is incredible.  It is a shame that I have to wait to post pictures of this place.  That really is the only way that you will see what I am talking about.  Or you could google the place.  But if you are too lazy and not curious enough, I will have some pictures up when I finally get back to. Santander, which is fast approaching surprisingly.  My tour of central Europe is coming to an end.

Anyways, Neuschwanstein.  I really hope I am spelling this right.  So yea, the castle is perfect.  White stone.  Blue capped turrets extending high into the sky.  The Alps towering I the background.  A gorge cutting around the grounds.  Clear blue alpine lakes visible in the distance.  Dense forest all around.  If this doesn't sound good to you, I don't think anything else could impress you.

The castle is about a two hour train ride south west of Munich near Fussen, a small German town, then a short bus ride into Schwangau, or Swan Country, where King Ludwig built his castle New Swan Stone.  If you can tell, Ludwig liked his swans.  Apparently the castle is full of swans.  I heard it wasn't worth the entrance fee, so my mom walked around the area.  We went up to the castle that young Ludwig grew up in and walked around the lake.  The day was beautiful after starting out with a bit of fog, rain and clouds.  We were afforded some perfect picturesque views of the castles on their hills reflecting over the nearly still lake.

Back in Munich we bummed around until we could board our night train

No comments:

Post a Comment